Baked mac and cheese is a staple thanksgiving item. It’s also just a good thing to eat all year round. Just don’t eat it every day or you’ll be round all year. It’s simple, easy and delicious. What more do you need?
Better Than Boxed Mac and Cheese
1 pound dried pasta
16oz cheddar cheese
1 stick unsalted butter (½ cup)
½ cup flour
4 cups milk
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Put a pot of water on high heat to boil. In the meantime shred the cheddar and mozzarella cheese. Set aside a third of the cheese for the topping later. Lightly grease the inside of a 9×13 baking dish.
- Boil the pasta two minutes short of the package instructions. The pasta will finish cooking in the oven. Drain pasta. While it’s still hot, mix in a tablespoon of butter to prevent sticking.
- Melt the rest of the butter in a saucepan on medium heat. When the butter starts to foam add the flour and whisk. Cook until the flour is golden brown and releases a nutty aroma. Add the milk one cup at a time, whisking constantly. Continue to whisk on medium heat until it’s smooth and thick.
- Turn the heat to the lowest setting. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, and cayenne. Whisk in the cheese, half a cup at a time, until completely melted and smooth.
- Combine the pasta and cheese sauce in the sheet pan. Stir to combine. Top with the remaining cheese. Bake for 10 minutes. Enjoy