For most people, making bread from scratch is simply not a realistic option. It takes time to study the proper methods, and even more time to make the bread itself. This does not apply to tortillas. Tortillas are super easy to make completely from scratch, and the improved taste is well worth it.Jump to Recipe
Why Make it at Home?
Would you pay more money for a worse product? I don’t think so. Most grocery store tortillas are designed to sit on the shelf for weeks. What you end up with is a tortilla whose flavor very much resembles flattened white bread. In terms of taste, fresh flour tortillas simply win every time (unless you live near a mexican grocery store).
It’s also so much cheaper! An 8 pack of large flour tortillas costs about 3.78 at the grocery store. This recipe uses less than 70 cents of ingredients to make 5 tortillas of similar size. With the price of one grocery store tortilla, you can make four homemade tortillas!
Lastly, you might not even find the right tortillas at the store. Chipotle uses 12-inch tortillas. Most grocery stores carry 10-inch tortillas as their biggest size. It’s likely that making them from scratch is the only way to get tortillas that large.
You Only Need Four Ingredients!
These flour tortillas are based on chipotle’s tortillas, which according to their website uses only four ingredients.
- Canola Oil
Chipotle Style Giant Tortillas
3 cups flour
⅓ cup canola oil
1 cup warm water
½ tsp salt
- Add flour to a large mixing bowl.
- Stir the salt into the warm water to dissolve. Add the oil and water to the bowl with flour. Mix together until it comes together into a cohesive dough with minimal dry spots.
- Transfer the dough to a clean flat work surface. Knead until it becomes smooth and only slightly sticky, about 4 to 5 minutes of kneading.
- Pinch the dough into 5-6 separate dough balls. Cover to prevent the surface of the dough from drying out. Let the dough balls rest covered for 30 minutes.
- Lightly flour a dough ball and roll out into a 10-12 inch circle.
- Heat a comal or large pan on medium high heat. Once preheated, add the rolled out dough and let cook for 30 seconds. Bubbles should form in the tortilla. Flip and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove from heat and let rest under a clean towel.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 with additional dough until all tortillas are made.
- Make 5 Dough balls for 12 inch tortillas, 6 balls for 10 inch.