This classic lemon bar recipe is as delicious as it is simple. Needing only seven ingredients, even the least confident bakers can absolutely nail this delectable dessert.
That’s right, you only need seven ingredients!
Lemons: Fresh lemons only! I’m no fresh ingredient snob but we’ll be using the zest and juice of these lemons so the bottled stuff just doesn’t work.
Butter: This recipe uses unsalted butter in the crust. It’s totally fine to use salted butter, just omit the salt that goes into the crust.
Flour: This recipe uses all purpose flour in both the crust and filling to help give both some substance.
Eggs: The main component of the lemon curd.
Powdered Sugar: Used in the crust and sprinkled on top of the completely lemon bars. The powdered sugar is used over granulated sugar to make a slightly more tender crust White Granulated Sugar: Sweetens the lemon filling to balance all the sour. Is also very important to form the correct lemon bar texture.
Salt: Who doesn’t love a little sweet and salty combo. Salt balances out all the sugar that’s going on in this dish.
Easy 7 Ingredient Lemon Bars
2 ¼ cup flour
12 tbsp softened butter
⅔ cup powdered sugar
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups white sugar
1 tbsp lemon zest
¾ cup lemon juice
6 tbsp flour
- Preheat oven to 325F and line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper.*
- Combine softened butter and powdered sugar in a bowl. Cream together until light and airy. Stir in the flour and salt until a crumbly dough forms. Evenly press the dough into the baking pan, forming a smooth compressed surface.
- Bake in the oven for 20-23 minutes or until the edges are barely starting to brown.
- In the meantime, whisk the 2 cups white sugar and 6 tbsp flour together in a bowl. Whisk in the eggs, lemon juice, and zest until the filling is completely combined.
- Pour the filling on top of the pre-baked crust. Bake for another 25-30 minutes, or until the top no longer jiggles when tapped. Remove from the oven and let cool. Dust the top with powdered sugar
- *If using a glass or ceramic baking dish no need to line with parchment, just lightly grease.