One of the most unique and delicious desserts in the world, basque cheesecake is an absolute showstopper. The best part about it: It’s incredibly easy to make. Just mix together the ingredients and throw it in the oven until it’s burnt. No skills or experience required. The only hard part is resisting the urge to eat that extra slice (or two).Jump to Recipe
Why Should You Make it at Home?’
First of all, a 7-inch basque cheesecake from a nice dessert place will cost $40-$50 dollars. The ingredients that it costs to make it at home add up to a total of $14.12! That’s a third of the cost!
When it comes to baked goods, MOST of the time I would rather pay a professional to make it rather than attempt to bake at home. Baking most things from scratch is very difficult to do right without any prior experience. But this doesn’t apply to Basque Cheesecake. Basque cheesecake is one of the easiest baked goods to make from scratch.
How to ensure PERFECT cooking
If anything can go wrong in this recipe it’s either underbaking or overbaking the cheesecake. Here are a few tips to ensure that you get perfectly cooked cake every single time.
- Work with room temperature ingredients – Letting the cream cheese, heavy cream, and eggs warm up at room temperature a few hours before mixing will not only make it easier to mix, but also bake more evenly in the oven.
- Check the temperature. The center of the cheesecake should read about 155°F (68°C) for that nice custard center.
- If you don’t have a thermometer, some good visual cues to follow are:
- A very dark brown (burnt) top
- A jiggly and wiggly center
- Solid set cake around the edges of the pan
Easy and Delicious Basque Cheesecake (Naturally Gluten Free)
1.5 pounds cream cheese
1 ½ cup sugar
½ cup heavy cream
½ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 475F convection with rack in the middle of the oven
- Line a 7-inch springform cake pan with parchment paper, making sure that parchment fully covers all the sides of the pan.
- Add softened cream cheese and sugar to a large mixing bowl. Mix until smooth and no lumps remain.
- In a bowl, add the 5 eggs. Whisk until completely smooth.
- Slowly add the beaten eggs to the cream cheese mixture. Fold and stir constantly, until fully combined and the batter is completely smooth.
- Add the cream, salt, and vanilla. Stir until completely smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Tap the bottom of the pan to the countertop to pop any air bubbles. Trim off any excess parchment paper sticking out over the sides of the springform pan.
- Bake in the oven for 45-55 minutes or until the top is very dark. The edges should be set but the center should still be very jiggly. The center of the cake should read about somewhere around 155°F (68°C) for a softer center. Remove from the oven. Let cool at room temperature for a few hours then cover and cool in the fridge for at least an hour before slicing.