A takeout staple and a pantry classic combine to make the ultimate meal to make for when you run out of ideas and forget to go grocery shopping. A beginner-friendly dish that hits the spot without breaking the bank.Jump to Recipe
What kind of rice?
Cold leftover steamed rice is the best for fried rice. The cold prevents the rice from becoming mushy, and helps keep all the grains separate. If you’re making this from scratch, place fresh cooked rice on a sheet tray and leave uncovered in the fridge for at least two hours.
It’s all in the sauce
The magic that defines take-out fried rice is the techniques used to expose every ingredient to extremely high temperatures to draw out amazing flavor. One such technique is to pour the liquid ingredients directly on the hot sides of the wok instead of the cold rice. This quickly caramelizes the ingredients and transforms their flavor. To recreate this at home, push the rice out of the center to expose the hottest part of the pan and pour your liquid ingredients there.
Is MSG okay?
Yes! MSG has long since been debunked as an inherently unhealthy substance. But if you still have reservations about using it then it is completely fine to omit it.
Can I use fresh vegetables?
Of course! Though I would add them at the same time as the green onion. Frozen vegetables are just so convenient for fried because they come pre-cut and pre-cooked the perfect size and texture. Plus fresh peas are a pain to get in some areas.
Spam Fried Rice
1/2 can spam
3 cups leftover cooked rice
1 cup frozen vegetables
1 green onion
3 garlic cloves
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 ½ tsp oyster sauce
¼ tsp msg
2 tbsp neutral cooking oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut spam into half inch cubes. Finely mince garlic. Cut green onion into thin slices, separate white and green parts.
- Crack eggs into a bowl and season with a pinch of salt. Beat until smooth. Heat a non-stick pan or wok on medium and add a tablespoon of oil. Once the oil is shimmering add the eggs and scramble until curds are completely formed. Set aside.
- Add spam and fry until browned, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and white part of green onion. Stir fry for an additional minute.
- Add an additional tablespoon of oil and turn heat to high. Immediately add the rice and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add soy sauce and oyster sauce directly to the pan. Add pepper and msg. Stir or toss to combine.
- Add frozen veggies, egg, and green part of green onion and mix until vegetables have defrosted, about 1-2 minutes. Serve and enjoy.